Bladesmith Experience Weekend
BLADESMITHING & FORGING WEEKEND
Make A Fully Usable Knife With Handle And Leather Sheath
Good pace, well explained, patient teacher, just the right number of students – and the food was delicious!
You get great info and you take a knife home. You can’t beat learning from experienced people
I liked the fact that I made the whole project from scratch without Graham taking over and letting me do it
Really well organised, amazingly supportive with such a variety of abilities in the class; helped me when I was struggling, in a lovely way that I still understood the process and felt ownership of the finished piece. Thank you!
Small group meant personal attention, very knowledgeable, helpful and encouraging throughout
Personal touch. Relaxed approach without confronting. Quality/Safety
Only £295 for the Full Weekend including lunches and refreshments
The course is open to all over the minimum age of 13. Children between the ages of 13 and 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Note, children aged 10-12 yrs may undertake our 1 Day Experience with an adult helper.
Knife & Bladesmith experts Graham, David & Decklan Clarke will guide you in a small group where you can work at your own pace.
Feel the pride of walking away with a knife you have made yourself!
Book Your Place Now
For an “Open” gift voucher, whereby the recipient can book their own Experience date after receipt, please write “OPEN” in the Course Date box.
Saturday/Sunday 16th-17th March 2019 – Full
Saturday/Sunday 6th-7th April 2019 – Full
Saturday/Sunday 11th-12th May 2019 – Full
Saturday/Sunday 22nd-23rd June 2019 – Full
Saturday/Sunday 27th-28th July 2019 – Full
Saturday/Sunday 7th-8th September 2019 – Full
Saturday/Sunday 12th-13th October 2019 – Only 1 place available
Saturday/Sunday 9th-10th November 2019 – Places available
Saturday/Sunday 14th-15th December 2019 – Places available
Saturday/Sunday 29th Feb-1st March 2020 – Places available
Saturday/Sunday 4th-5th April 2020 – Places available
Saturday/Sunday 9th-10th May 2020 – Places available
Saturday/Sunday 6th-7th June 2020 – Places available
Saturday/Sunday 11th-12th July 2020 – Places available
Steps to making a fully usable knife
- Shape your blade from a rectangular block of steel using a gas forge, hammer and anvil. Graham will explain and demonstrate each step of the process and will then guide you to do the same.
- Normalise your blade in the gas forge to restore the metal properties lost during the forging process
- Grind your blade to near finished shape on both vertical and horizontal belt grinders
- Heat treat – harden – your blade by quenching it red hot into oil (but without the fiery theatricals often seen on television!!!)
- Finish grind and sharpen your blade until it will slice paper edgewise
- Completed knife will have an “as forged” handle