Bladesmith Experience Weekend
BLADESMITHING & FORGING WEEKEND
Make A Fully Usable Knife With Handle And Leather Sheath
Good pace, well explained, patient teacher, just the right number of students – and the food was delicious!Ollie, 27 January, 2018
You get great info and you take a knife home. You can’t beat learning from experienced peopleSimon, December 2017
I liked the fact that I made the whole project from scratch without Graham taking over and letting me do itKC, 28 April 2018
Really well organised, amazingly supportive with such a variety of abilities in the class; helped me when I was struggling, in a lovely way that I still understood the process and felt ownership of the finished piece. Thank you!Kathy, 28 April 2018
Small group meant personal attention, very knowledgeable, helpful and encouraging throughoutJamie, 17 February, 2018
Personal touch. Relaxed approach without confronting. Quality/SafetyChris, 23 March 2018
Only £295 for the Full Weekend including lunches and refreshments
The course is open to all. Children between the ages of 13 and 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Children aged 10-12 must be accompanied by an adult helper. They will work together as a pair (at the cost for 1 person) to make 1 knife. Unfortunately experience has shown us that children younger than 10 will not have the strength to forge or the size to work safely on our grinders.
Knife Expert Graham Clarke will guide you in a small group where you can work at your own pace.
Feel the pride of walking away with a knife you have made yourself!
Book Your Place Now
For an “Open” gift voucher, whereby the recipient can book their own Experience date after receipt, please write “OPEN” in the Course Date box.
Saturday/Sunday 16th-17th March 2019 – Full
Saturday/Sunday 6th-7th April 2019 – Full
Saturday/Sunday 11th-12th May 2019 – Full
Saturday/Sunday 22nd-23rd June 2019 – Full
Saturday/Sunday 27th-28th July 2019 – Only 1 place available
Saturday/Sunday 7th-8th September 2019 – Places available
Saturday/Sunday 12th-13th October 2019 – Places available
Steps to making a fully usable knife
- Shape your blade from a rectangular block of steel using a gas forge, hammer and anvil. Graham will explain and demonstrate each step of the process and will then guide you to do the same.
- Normalise your blade in the gas forge to restore the metal properties lost during the forging process
- Grind your blade to near finished shape on both vertical and horizontal belt grinders
- Heat treat – harden – your blade by quenching it red hot into oil (but without the fiery theatricals often seen on television!!!)
- Finish grind and sharpen your blade until it will slice paper edgewise
- Completed knife will have an “as forged” handle